Words to keep me sane

Sometimes the only action you can take is to let go.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Sound of Music Revisited


Please bear with my silliness today. For some reason the mood struck me to come up with the following, based on the song "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music (one of my favorite movies). Here's what I think Maria might have sung if she had known the curse of infertility - not that Nazis weren't trouble enough.

My Least Favorite Things

Band-Aids on arm veins and bruises on buttocks
Brightly lit exam rooms and feet in the stirrups
Jumping on test day when the telephone rings
These are a few of my least favorite things

Follicles and hormone levels checked every few days
Messy progesterone to bolster luteal phase
Hot flashes and mood swings and the angst that they bring
These are a few of my least favorite things

Uber-fertile relatives and ever procreating friends
Feeling a failure when yet another cycle ends
Watching the years pass with anxiety growing
These are a few of my least favorite things

If the planets align
And the day comes
When a baby is ours
I will look back on all my least favorite things
And then I won’t feel so scarred

3 comments:

Schatzi said...

Bwah ha ha. This is funny. As someone who watched this movie at least once a week growing up (yes, a little odd)... thanks for the giggle.

Unknown said...

Heh :) And how ironic; I actually WATCHED this movie last night so I could sing along the songs and be happy (I'm in my 2ww right now)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.