Words to keep me sane

Sometimes the only action you can take is to let go.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Puppy Love


Does it sound completely ridiculous to say I know how much I would love a child because of how much I love my dog? I have heard plenty of people talk about how your heart grows when you become a parent and when you first lay eyes on your child - whether it is at birth or during the adoption process, you experience a love of which you never knew you were capable. I confess that I marvel at the prospect of this. Since I don’t have a frame of reference, I can only compare the unconditional love I feel for the dog that has been a part of our family for the last seven years. I don’t consider myself a fanatical pet lover (one of those types who dresses up their pet and might stage a wedding ceremony after which the pet would be invited to eat off the owner’s plate) but I am a dedicated dog lover and appreciater (even though that’s not a word). Specifically, my dog has seen me through a lot of rough times and every time she looks at me with her adoring brown eyes I feel like I have a vague idea of what parents are talking about. Many would skewer me for putting animals and children in anywhere near the same category, but again, it’s all I have to go on right now. I wonder if there are any others in this boat who have a deep appreciation for their pets. I will admit that my dog has probably become my pseudo-child (poor thing!) and I relish her presence in my home and in my heart. If being a pet parent is this rewarding, I can only imagine what would be in store with an actual child *visualizing scene from the (original) Grinch movie where his heart grows until it shatters the magnifying glass*. I hope I get to find out.

No comments: