Words to keep me sane

Sometimes the only action you can take is to let go.

Monday, January 28, 2008

This update is overdue


I had my post-op appointment on 1/24. Our doctor was able to pick up the baby’s heartbeat with the Doppler right away. Husband and I were both very relieved to hear the sound. I must say it is pretty incredible what you can hear so early on (just a little over ten weeks at the time). The heart rate was 176 which seemed high to me. Doctor said he was fine with it given that it is the first trimester. That is the highest it has been so far. Trying not to be concerned, but hoping it will be more in the “normal” range the next time we get to hear it. My stomach also got measured, which completely floored me! 10 cm so I guess it corresponds correctly. I lost a little weight from being in the hospital but I still considered my abdominal situation to be more about lack of sit ups (for several months!) than about baby growth or distended bowels as the case may be. I literally thought to myself “he’s measuring my fat!” Pretty surreal. Hopefully things will remain calm for a while now. We have another appointment on 2/8, with an ultrasound to check my ovary size and hopefully the baby, too. I still have to say I’m not sure I really believe that there is an honest to goodness baby in there. I just can’t get my head around it. Is anyone else looking forward to spring as much as I am? I was given a bulb garden as a “get well” gift and I have three yellow flowers blooming so far. It makes me look forward to warmer weather that much more!

4 comments:

Grad3 said...

So glad all is looking good- I hope you are feeling better now! Take care of yourself and that little bean (as if I even have to tell you!) Hugs

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad for you. Thanks for posting that you heard the heartbeat a little over 10 weeks...we're going in next week at 10.5 weeks and I really want to hear it. Again, so happy things are going well for you and I can't wait for those bulbs to come up! I didn't plant any new ones though b/c I was too drugged up on hormones to want to move! Oh well!

Nadine said...

heart beat! That's great.

Grad3 said...

An update is WAY over due!!! :)